in this section
- news by topic
- media resources
- university events
- 5k race for humanity
- advances in pharmacy practice
- alumni reunion weekend
- delivering medication therapy management services certificate program
- discover series
- family fall fest
- founders’ day
- graduate student orientation
- healthy lifestyles social media business competition
- lois k. cohen lecture series
- making the connections
- the bernard j. malis memorial lectureship in humanities
- misher festival of fine arts and humanities
- mlk day of service
- move-in and welcome events
- patricia leahy memorial lecture
- pharmacy-based immunization delivery training
- philadelphia grain malt symposium
- philadelphia science festival
- reep annual symposium and networking event
- research day and john c. krantz jr. lecture
- undergraduate research festival
- vestibular rehabilitation continuing education series
- usciences in the news
- the bulletin alumni magazine
- the insider newsletter signup
new scholarship offers first year pharmaceutical sciences and pharmacology toxicology students research opportunities
a new research scholarship for students admitted into usciences’ pharmaceutical sciences and pharmacology and toxicology programs puts laboratory experience and research in reach for first-year students.
the “explorers and scholars in science” scholarship, open to students applying for admission starting in fall of 2019, will provide funding allowing students to conduct research with a faculty mentor over an eight-week period during the summer following their first academic year. the scholarship will be awarded to a limited number of students.
“this program gives students a head start to become involved in college-level research, experience that will better prepare them as they apply for additional opportunities throughout their academic career,” said dean of philadelphia college of pharmacy edward foote p’87, pharmd’91.
at the end of the rotation students will be expected to present their research in a poster format to department faculty, graduate students and undergraduate researchers at a summer research symposium.
this program helps students gain valuable research skills early in their time at the university and makes them competitive for industrial internships in subsequent summers.
“the research internship gives students an opportunity to really put into practice what they have learned,” said anil d’mello, phd, director of the pharmaceutical sciences program. “the students learn the merits of working in a group with other researchers and faculty members to create a community of scholars.”
the students will also gain presentation and communication skills, which are powerful learning tools that can help jumpstart their college careers.
usciences also offers a summer undergraduate research fund for sophomore and junior students in all undergraduate academic disciplines to conduct research under the mentorship of a faculty member.
categories: news, students, admission, philadelphia college of pharmacy, department of pharmaceutical sciences, pharmaceutical sciences, pharmacology and toxicology, research